Thursday, April 19, 2012

A Letter Home from a Traffic Jam


(This is what happens when I watch the Ken Burns documentary on the Civil War and then get caught in traffic the next day)

My Dearest, Warmest, Bridgette,

The fondest wish of my heart is that this letter finds you well.  It has been 50 terrible minutes since I departed my work post and set about for our homestead.  The caravan of motorized wagons that ensnares me stretches beyond the ability of my eyes to discern its end. It has vanquished all hope of forward momentum.  Our procession has slowed to such a degree that a wounded mule carrying two 100 pound gunny-sacks of sorghum could advance more rapidly were he of a mind to do so.

I fear that I may never look upon your lovely visage again my darling.  I long for the evenings when we would enjoy each others company in the parlor whilst watching the box with the moving pictures.  All the while the air circulator above our heads rotating swiftly, giving us a rather refreshing breeze.

If I perish on this God forsaken stretch of blacktop, tell the children that my final thoughts were of them, and you of course.  I must endeavor to.....oh cool honey it's starting to break up..gotta go!

Your most devoted and humble and kind hearted and goodly mannered husband,
Douglas

18 April, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment